Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Internship - Day 7.0

Finishing Touches

The collection I processed at the start of the internship, Environmental Coalition of Orange County records (ECOC), came back from the student assistant. She had been assigned the task of refoldering and labeling the 85 or so folders spread across five Hollinger boxes.


As pictured above, there are three elements in labeling each of the new acid-free folders. On the left side is the collection number. For example, MS-R164 indicates this is the 164th Regional history ManuScript collection in the UCI Special Collections and Archives. The center portion of the folder tab is reserved for labeling the contents of the folder. The right side of the tab indicates this folder sequence in the box. This is folder number 4 in box number 1.

After checking the student's work, I had the pleasure of formatting,  printing, and applying the box labels to the ends of the document boxes. My supervisor had mentioned that she finds this one of the most satisfying steps in collection processing. I have to say there is a certain amount of pride one takes in seeing how a rag tag archives box of loose papers can come together into an organized and cohesive arrangement.

For finishing touches, I filled out the rest of the Archivists' Toolkit (AT) resource record for the collection, added the series and subseries hierarchy, added their corresponding box and folder range instances, refined the collection level finding aid data and notes, updated the work plan, and sent it off to my supervisor for review. This is exciting because we're getting close to generating the EAD and uploading it to the Online Archive of California (OAC) where the world will be able to find it!

And now, back to our other collection already in progress...

With the ECOC packed off to the archivist for review, I re-engaged with processing the Fair Housing Council of Orange County (FHCOC) records. In some ways this collection was more challenging intellectually. There were really only three categories, or series of documents, but almost none of them came organized. I started with an archives box containing a bunch of paper heaped in different directions.

Last week, when I pulled out the papers out of the bankers box, I did my best to maintain the original order. To make the papers easier to handle I placed them in acid-free folders while transferring them into Hollinger boxes. Since each folder can only hold about an inch thick of paper, the challenge was making decisions where to divide them into natural breaking points.


Handing off the folders to a student for labeling was out of the question. The papers are in no discernible order. So I took on the labeling task. I quickly reviewed the contents of each folder and labeled each with one of the three previously identified series titles; court documents, newsletters, or planning documents. I whipped through all folders in all four document boxes before the end of the day.

Next week, my goal will be to pull together the FHCOC collection into the same state of readiness that I got the ECOC into earlier today. Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment