Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Internship - Day 4.0

Today's Output 
  • ECOC Work Plan approved by Archivist
  • AT Resource record notes for ECOC completed
  • ECOC Preservation tasks delegated to student assistants
  • ECOC folders reboxed

Work Plan Approved!

Day 4 started off great with my supervisor approving my archival processing work plan from Day 3. I was so excited I had to take a picture to commemorate it. This hard copy document gets filed with other related documents in the departmental lateral file. Michelle Light, the director, smiled when she saw me filing the paper. (I know she's a digital proponent.) She said she inherited the system and it seems to work. The implication was, "why mess with success?"

AT Resource record notes

On Day 3 I had generated the resource record for the collection in Archivists' Toolkit from the accession record, but it was towards the end of the day. Today I used the Archival Processing Manual (APM) to guide me through updating the various mandatory collection level note records such as; conditions governing access and use, abstract, preferred citation, etc. I especially enjoyed entering the related archival materials note. Using the Online Archive of California (OAC), I quickly found five closely related collections, mostly in UCI's own Special Collections and Archives.

Delegating Preservation Tasks

As a student myself it feels like cheating that I'm assigning processing tasks to other students. My supervisor has encouraged me to do this even though my inclination has been to DIY. I wrote up and sent the six tasks off to my supervisor . She'll input them into the SC&A Workticket application used to assign and track work done by the student assistants.

ECOC folders reboxed

The pictures say it all.
FROM THIS....
....TO THIS










No comments:

Post a Comment