Friday, August 24, 2012

Internship - Day 1.4

Procedural Question and Answer
I began conducting background research on my first collection processing task on the Environmental Coalition of Orange County, Inc. (ECOC). My initial searches returned a few hits in existing UCI Special Collections guides listed on OAC. Most significant to my current need are copies of the ECOC newsletter, Environmental News (1972-1977) located in the “Guide to the The Laguna Greenbelt, Inc. records.” From the newsletters, I figure I'll get a handle on who the principals were in the organization and perhaps find enough info to develop an organizational description.

My question to my internship site supervisor, is one of procedure. Do I need to formally request access to the Laguna Greenbelt records by filling out a call ticket or am I authorized to pull the records directly from the stacks? I can see value in the formal approach because research in our own materials could then be tracked on usage reports.

My supervisor's answer is as follows:

There are a few options. The locations for all of our archival/manuscript collections are listed in our stacks database, at http://staffbeta.lib.uci.edu/apps/locator/index.php. You can log in with your UCInetID and there you can see the location for each box in a specific collection. You can feel free to review material at your desk, either by asking a student to page the boxes for you, or by paging the boxes yourself. We have salmon-colored staff paging flags to mark the space on the shelf when a box is taken from the shelf. I am happy to review this procedure with you in person on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment